Tuesday 13 March 2012

Part 5 Task 5a

Task 5a My Professional Ethics  - Some ugly moments
Without reading the Codes of Practice for Dance Teachers within my association with the ‘Imperial Society of Teacher of Dance’ and Council for Dance Education and Training, I have written an Ethics Code that I adhere to when I teach in the community.  This would be for a one to one basis, professional and non professional participants in a weekly class session of ISTD dance style and syllabus and non ISTD dance style and syllabus for all ages and abilities.  When I set out to return to teaching Dance about three years ago I researched the Dance Teacher Code of Practice and below are my thoughts as to what I consider as Ethical practice to follow.
  1. Qualification or competency in my teaching and understand what is needed to a high level in the dance style I am teaching.
  2. Health and safety awareness within the venue or location. Fire exits, toilette facilities, clean, safe and appropriate floor for the style of dance teaching.
  3. Understand the requirement and teach to the appropriate level of student or participants ability. 
  4. Recognize and be flexible in teaching various abilities and disciplines of participants/students
  5. Offer appropriate guidance to further progression of able students showing advance learning abilities
  6. Improve standards of dance whenever possible.
  7. Uphold professionalism, be courteous and considerate, be punctual, approachable, reliable, flexible, listen to your students, their families and participants.
  8. Non discriminatory in race, religion, gender or beliefs.
  9. Be truthful in your teaching ability and advertising your qualifications
  10. Do not speak badly of other professional dance teachers abilities.
  11. Have appropriate Insurance in place
  12. CRB advance checks 
  13. An overall sense of responsibility and due care and attention
Dance in Education in Primary, Secondary and further education will have additional regulations as directed by the school or Education establishments.
I have had various levels of political correctness practices I had to consider in the Dance in Education in schools in the past.  One incident springs to mind of a parent who didn’t approve of the dance role their child had (the children actually chose their own roles). The dance role was of a hunter in the jungle. The child was black and it was assumed that the child was given the role because of this. I have read that it is politically correct to state a person is ‘black’, compared to stating they are ‘coloured’, as I wasn’t totally sure of the correct way to address this in my blog. 
Another incident recently was regarding choice of music for a dance workshop for children aged 5 to 10 years. I gave them a choice to two pieces of pop music.  The music chosen was representative of a certain section of society we live in today.  The singer and song was instantly recognised and children sang along.  They seemed to know the lyrics.  I was horrified towards the end to the song when I realised and clearly heard inappropriate language. I now vet and seek appropriate music for each occasion. 

What have been your ugly moments?

In my next blog I will compare my list of Professional Ethical practices to the Code of Practices set by the Council for Dance Education and Training to guide dance teachers on issues of good practice.

2 comments:

  1. Once in my class, I was teaching a child with a physical difficulty. It was a summer school and stupidly the principal forgot to mention it. There was a particular section of the class the child found difficult, because I had no knowledge of the difficulty, I told the child off as I thought he couldn't be bothered to join in the physical exercises. Ouch! The poor child had to explain what the issue was and of course I was instantly understanding and quickly worked around it. But still, I should have been made aware of it. It's good to find out a bit about who you are teaching if it's a new class... Lesson learned for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was supporting in a year 10 class which was based around 'relationships'. After being shown a picture of a gay couple, one child declared that 'all gay people should be killed...it would help them'. I was deeply insulted and shouted back at the pupil. Ethics went completely out of the window there! (she was later 'educated' about homophobia).

    ReplyDelete