Friday 23 March 2012

Brief History of Ethics



Brief History of Ethics

I have found this to be a fascinating subject with the framework set in place that can be traced back to Plato and Aristotle.  They had differing and contrasting views on human function.
Aristotle examines the pursuit of happiness and goodness.  Isn’t it something we say today that we wish our family and friends to be happy?
Socrates adds that it is better to be just than un just and turns his attention to the human soul.  He asks if living is a function of the soul and concludes the soul is what is utilised to exhibit reason.
Plato believed human function was deliberation, with ruling, living and taking care of things. Plato's  ethics/virtues saw people belonging to and being part of that community
It is generally morally accepted that ‘The prime purpose in life is to help others’. Like many ‘good rules’ there are in the framework that we live by, it is at times challenging to practise especially when decisions and judgements are to be made.  
Immanuel Kant (1779) belief that moral rules are based on reason rather religion. A reason to do good for the greater good and to be dutiful.  I think this theory is outdated in Western society as those that adhere to ethical action based on duty are ‘in service’ jobs such as the armed forces.
Hobbes’s view on a practical solution to social harmony and JS Mill’s theory seem to converge as they developed the theories of moral obligation with the principal thoughts of unselfishness.
Religion
In the Catholic religion the bible states that Children (the innocent) are to be cared for and to be looked after.  In light of recent reports about priests, supposedly highly respected leaders of our society and setting a good example, have let us down. What happened to the their moral framework?  I think these issues highlight that some aspects of religious teachings are out of date in our changing societies. I have hope. World News has reported that Catholic leaders launch a global drive to catch paedophiles priests!!
My Professional Ethics have become strong and more solid, so my views have not changed after Reader 5.
My personal ethics are guided by Christian values and spiritual instincts.  I must clarify that  my Christian values don’t necessarily imply a religious faith or following. These values have evolved and combined with my instincts, I focus on the here and now to deal with each individual episode.
The Reader has highlighted many grey areas regarding human rights as per case study 2; Ethics in photography (Middlesex University Reader 5 2011/12)
I couldn’t help but question what made the photographer walk away;
Was the photographer brainwashed into believing that there was no hope for these people and the best thing is to let them die? Did he make that decision because he was a man? Would have a female photographer acted differently? If he was a father would he have made the same decision? 
I think the ground rules and ethical duties as a photojournalist here, should have been ignored for the sake of a human life.
I’ve had to make three life or death decisions in my life and on each account extensive facts about human rights were taken into account, but my final decision was internally driven.  
A major report to parliament show that assisted suicide should be legal.  The UK have come a long way to this point.  
A locked-in syndrome sufferer wins high court hearing for his rights to die


I’m unsure why the UK are non decisive about assisted suicide compared to other European countries.  I see an act of unselfishness as each individual makes a decision not only to end his/her pain and suffering as a terminal patient but to shorten the pain of their loved ones.  I witnessed a friend, who was terminal,  make the decision that her family and friends were not to visit her whilst in a hospice. The family were obviously heartbroken but the medical team made them aware it was her life and her death, therefore her wishes were to be totally respected.
Ethics and Morals
I consider myself as having liberal views as a dance teacher/performer/choreographer, homosexuality in dance has been accepted by the ‘Arts’ world for generations and is more widely accepted today in the world of ‘dance’.
I have limited knowledge of how other cultures view homosexuality in dance. I am aware it has raised tension between personal and moral issues within their society.  This is subject interests me and I would like to further research this. 
Since 2005 homosexuals are now allowed to enter  a formal civil partnership where their union is fully recognised by the state and carries with it all the duties and responsibilities that go with the union (Middlesex University Reader 5 2012). 
Although it seems to be more widely accepted in the UK, some professional male belly dancers are still being subjected to prejudice views.
Reader 5 does not include any reference to Transgenders in dance. I have encountered  trans gender performers and one person taking part in a dance workshop weekend with all females who accepted the situation.  This is another interesting area to research as it is likely to happen again and I would like advice on how to handle this sensitive area.  I would need to take into consideration any females in the group objecting to a trans gender participating.  As an organisation I would have to go with the majority decision.
I searched for a code of Ethics that offer advice on inclusion of Transgenders.  A home Office Web site with details of Transgender Action Plan. 
‘This document sets out the specific actions we will take across government to advance transgender equality’
Male Teachers in Schools
Having experienced teaching in a Primary schools, children often require comforting and would instinctively hug me and I feel it appropriate not to push the child away.  I have observed young children hug male staff and they instinctively push the child away for fear of accusation. They feel at ease when a female member of staff is in the same room.  The male teacher often speak of relief that another member of staff is present.
The Telegraph newspaper reports how men are afraid of being seen as paedophiles.
I feel the balance has been tipped and there may be repercussions in society with attitudes and behaviour . The report states better behaviour in both gender by the presence of  a male teacher.  
In summary I think on the whole society conducts itself or believes in being virtuous.. I believes this depends on the culture we live in.  For women, it is considered ‘wrong’ to have an intimate relationship with a man out of wedlock. This seem less important in today’s western world.  We strive for the constant ‘do good’. At times we are unable to communicate or be articulate  for the reasons we make certain choices.  Are we using  tacit knowledge ? 
Is it our instinct?
I believe we are lead by multiple sets of rules that guide us to behave ethically.  I believe I have positive characteristics  and lead by good example.
I have learnt about research ethics and will blogg my findings and thoughts on how I will use those ethical principals to conduct my surveys, interviews and observations to gather data and statistics





7 comments:

  1. Corinda,

    A really interesting and thought provoking post about many areas of ethics, both in our societies and others around the world. I would like to also mention about situtations that I experience regarding Transgender... Sometimes (and I am guilty of this) people are just unaware of a situation because it has never effected them. For example, in my gym, there are two (either transvestites or trans-genders) and they regularly change in the women's changing room. I genuinely feel uncomfortable because I am unsure if they have feelings or interests towards females or not. I understand that each individual's orientation is different, so both sides are possible. I know I shouldn't feel uncomfortable, but it's through the 'not knowing' rather thinking un-ethically or being prejudice towards them. What do you think? I think it is highlighted by the fact that they always come in the ladies-only zone, rather than going into the mixed zone. Is that wrong/ un-ethical to be confused? Am I oblivious to some laws,rules or outlines?
    In my dance world, there is a lot of homosexuality, and because I am so aware of it, and open about it, there is little prejudice or un comfortable situations, as all dancers have colleagues and friends who are homo or bisexual. It is the 'norm.'

    Regarding the inquiry, I think now we have a good background and more of an awareness about the importance of ethics nowadays in society. I hope it will therefore be easier for us to conduct it correctly.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading the Home Office link, I now see the issues and my own unawareness of the Transgender society. I now understand more, and think that the general public can also benefit from learning about the outlines, and the differences. Combatting prejudice is all about knowledge and awareness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia, I found Ethics a most fascinating subject and considering there are so many cultures to consider and also so many people's differing acceptances it's no wonder today we no longer agree on what is black or white. We muddle through a we don't always know all the facts.
      I recall another situation regarding a Transgender within a corporate company where my husband was conducting interviews. He was expecting a gentleman to appear, but this person appeared attired in a dress. The receptionist had a problem when asked where the toilets facilities where.. This happened about fifteen years ago. As you say, at least there are some guide lines for us today..

      Delete
  3. It seems that now adays, we are 'comfortable' being around gay people, especially in the industry that we are in as there are so many gay people around us. I think that we are probably a little unsure of transgender people, simply because it is not as widly 'accepeted' as homosexuals are and we do not know how to react. I hear about gay people all the time but rarely about transgender and i think this needs to change. If I was in the situation like the receptionist you mentioned Corinda, I too wouldn't know whether to direct them to the male or female toilets. How awkward! I really feel that in todays society, we shouldn't feel like that, and the only way to resolve feelings of uncertainty or feeling uncomfortable,as Alicia did, is for everyone (including the media) to discuss and include transgender more openly. Thank you for highlighting the topic,
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I began to notice more transgender people since I started in Middle Eastern dance. One particular Oriental Dance weekend in the UK, I befriended a lady and I realised certain 'male mannerisms'. She informed me of the treatment she was currently receiving and how constantly challenging her life was.
    Another recent event in Morocco on a Salsa weekend a transgender belly dancer performed a Middle Eastern Dance. The locals knew of her as she was well known and was 'famous’ in Morocco.

    This world wide controversial subject continues to be in the news. Recently a story about a Miss Universe contestant reached the finals and was disqualified because she was born a boy. http://carolyn-blog.com/?p=1398

    Islam and the Arab world continue discussions over this controversial subject. I have ponder on this subject numerous times.
    I’ve asked myself why would any one want to go through years of humiliation, shame, guilt, fear, confusion then to continue with a ‘Transgendercare Medical Feminizing Program’
    http://www.transgendercare.com/medical/resources/tmf_program/tmf_program_5.asp

    In genuine cases, I put myself in their shoes and have concluded that ‘tolerance, compassion, acceptance and education’ is needed. Information is being feed to us, it does educate us but I think the challenge is the tolerance and acceptance for some with a closed hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, there are so many different hormones involved in the feminizing program. Corinda, I wonder if transgender is more acceptable in the Middle east? I doubt there are more males who feel they need to be female than in the UK, but maybe if it is more tolerated, more people feel confident to go ahead with the procedure? Such an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete