Saturday 5 November 2011

Inquiry Task 2d Please give me your thoughts and suggestions




During my half term week, there was more time to reflect on themes that may have emerged in my post that would give me an indication as to a new inquiry.  In spite of thinking that I have calmed down since the crazy start of September and thinking strategically about BAPP it appears that this isn’t the case with me.  Initially panic sets in, followed by a mass of ideas to deal with then the time consuming steps of elimination.  It has to resonate with me and demonstrate that there is a purpose for this inquiry.  So, how is this course influencing me and where is it directing me to? Are my peers influencing me?  I enjoy reading people’s blogs especially when referring to their life experiences, motivation, commitments and personal development.
However, I haven’t come across another mature fellow learner on this BAPP course like myself to really connect with, but  I am inspired by many practitioners on our module, one example is     Liam Conman very strong writing style and writes with true conviction and clear outcomes and other modules. I have followed Stephanie Thomas blog with admiration as she clearly shows in her posts, links to how she has, perhaps, come up with a probable final question.  At this point my numerous lines of inquiry look at the ‘health benefits of dance’ to ‘does the world of dance have a place in the world economy’? I need to narrow these down and focus. 
I enjoyed reading about the choreographer Twyla Tharpe ‘The Creative Habit’ (Tharp, Reiter 2006)  I admire her, her depth and matter of fact.  Another idea springs to mind about comparing trained ballet dancers technique to contemporary dance techniques. I will investigate this further.   
But I love giving time and space to children to explore, navigate, lead, expand their imaginations beyond their daily routines through music, dance, movement and sound.  It is reasonable to say that I have and do submerge myself in such activities or dreams and visions to find equilibrium in my life.
What makes me angry? What makes me angry is naturally intelligent people/students who decide not to do anything with their lives once they graduate. What do they do with all that accumulated knowledge? I don’t understand totally but I understand it is to so with choice, circumstance and influence.
I have introduced in this task a small part of ‘The Networked Professional’ looking outward at other people’s ideas.
I won't rush this line of inquiry, I know eventually that a Topic will emerge, but I know I will still panic. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Corinda,
    I can completely relate to you when you talk about that initial panic on the course. When I first picked up Reader 2 I was so overwhelmed and a little scared by the tasks involved, I tend to doubt myself immediately rather than giving myself a chance. I have proved that by working through it slowly I can complete the tasks and have actually gained lots of knew knowledge from them. But I completely agree with you with regards to that sudden rush of panic.
    I'm sure in due course you will find the lines of inquiries that you wish to research deeper into, like you said there is no point rushing with this and forcing an idea, wait until it comes naturally and then you will know it is something you really want to inquire into.
    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo
    Thank you for your comment and support. AS I look back on what I have written, it's then that I see what I have learnt and makes sense..It is also good to hear that there are other learners in our module going through similar thoughts. I'm glad to hear you have found your formula for working through the tasks and I agree that working through them slowly and just going for it is the best policy. Will you be attending the Campus session this Wednesday? Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo,
    I too have a lot of ideas for the inquiry but need to narrow myself down and 'focus.' I like the idea of looking at the place of dance in the economy, as it is very topical at the moment, I too have looked at this issue, and I think there will be a lot of relevant information on this. Also that of the 'modernisation of Ballet', even though it is classical pieces that are more popular with our audiences, classical ballet is being constantly reinvented, pushed to the boundaries and updated. Maybe this is a reason that funding is being reduced, choreographers are not feeding the taste of the general public, they are indulging in their own artistic wants and needs. Have you decided which inquiry to follow?
    Alicia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corinda,
    Having read your line of inquiry about what makes you angry, I thought by sharing my own experience, it might help you a little.
    After completing my 3 year course at dance and drama school, I was completely worn out and had lost all my passion for performing arts. My hobby had become my nemesis. Even though I did well at college and had endless support, I knew that at that moment in time, I had to leave the industry. For two years after completing my course, I did very little in terms of employment. I'm really glad that I did this now - I had a lot of soul searching to do! As it turned out, when I did return to full time employment, I discovered the world of teaching. I had time to miss and appreciate performing arts and really re-lit my passion for it. I think I was definitely a case of 'circumstance' as you identified. As people are such complex beings, I imagine that a large proportion of intelligent and qualified people who are not applying their knowledge and talents could be 'sorting themselves out', as I did. I'm not sure about the other proportion though - maybe they just like the solitry life style? Hope I have helped a litte,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete