Thursday 18 October 2012

Analysing Qualitative Data


In my feed back from Paula on module 2 one of her suggestions was to research and find literature on Analysing Data.

My surveys through ‘Monkey Survey’ are now all complete and collected and so is my narrative interviews from video recordings.

I decided to read through two research documents on how to analyse Qualitative date, links shown below, that were recommended to be by a college lecturing in a European university.  Time is of the essence and the few pages in the link were easy to read, understand and digest.  

It was made very clear that I had collected too much data.  My survey questions number 10. At this moment, I am considering choosing only two or three important and relevant  questions and answers to analyse.
I will have to consider choosing answers that;
  • focus and justify my inquiry question
  • compare and link to any quotes or important points from literature I’ve read
  • link with relevant key points in my narrative interviews.

Quotes and generalising. 
I’ve read that ‘quotes’ should be chosen carefully to directly support an argument and that permission is needed by the owners, but they need to remain anonymous... I am currently seeking my interviewees permission to quote them as many are globally known teachers and performers, successful and influential people in the world of Salsa and Middle Eastern Dance. They are leaders, carving the paths of these evolving dance styles, listening to what students and spectators want..
By quoting people you avoid generalising as the responses are original to the individual's own perspective.

One to one narrative interviews
My narrative interviews number four in total, two interviews per dance style, each lasting approximately forty minutes.
My concerns were about the length and in some interviews I had gone off track with the questioning as the conversations became more and more interesting and revealing..
Little had I realised how much music influences these dance from a historical prospective.  Both music and dance are intwined within the evolution of this Art.
My most exciting interviews were musicians although my inquiry focuses on the dance styles, I will however need to emphasize on the influence of the music.

For the written data its a process of ‘Noticing, Collecting and Thinking about interesting things.  It’s a continuous circle of going from any one of those words as a starting point to jumping to another many times over.  The best thing for me would be to physically cut up pieces of written interesting points and put them in individual piles then disassembling the piles into smaller piles.

Analysis is a breaking up, separating, disassembling of research materials into pieces, parts, elements or units.  With facts broken down into manageable pieces the researcher sorts and sifts them, searching for types, classes, sequences, processes, patterns and wholes.  The aim is to assemble or reconstruct the data in a meaningful or comprehensible fashion (Jorgensen, 1989:107).

Coding like colours or words to represent an argument, facts or points is recommended.  As you notice interesting data, code it.  I can see that it may be a messy and confusing solution for me but I will physically lay out these piles as having pieces of paper lying around seems to help me in seeing things more clearly.

At first data may appear to be a mass of confusing unrelated, accounts.  But by studying the coding (often I code the same materials several times just after collecting them), the researcher begins to create order  (Charmaz, 1983:114)  

From this, mapping could be used as we practiced in modules 1 & 2 or putting it into a table.
I think I have to be aware of how much coding will influence my analysis, seems to be the beginning of another process that could pulls you deeper into your data.

I found these two links very useful. 



I look forward to comments, suggestions and ideas.





4 comments:

  1. Hi Corinda,
    I have found the following reference book to be really useful in understanding how to breakdown results and data ready for analysis. It echoes much of what you have mentioned above, particularly about the coding - the fact that many 'materials' or aspects can be included under several different codes, but it explains how to understand codes to progress to categorizing which leads to analysis and the stages after which are entitled 'comparison' and 'theorization'.
    Ref. "Doing Work Based Research- Approaches to Enquiry for Insiders - Researchers" (Costley.C, Elliot.G and Gibbs.P).
    I hope this helps.
    You pick up on a really valuable point that the influences for and evolution of dance is through the history of music. What came first - the chicken or the egg? (not a good analogy, sorry!)but an interesting thought about which was the greater influence on the other - the style of dance or the music style, rhythms etc?
    Best Wishes,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo
    Thank you for recommending the book, I'll certainly check it out.
    I have a book I can recommend for your potential inquiry based on Dance called; Researching Dance, -Evolving Modes of Inquiry. Edited by Sondra Horton Fraleigh and Penelope Hanstein. It was recommended to me by Adesola Akinleye This is such a valuable reference book for Dance research.

    I was thinking about your last sentence above about which was the greater influence on the other - the style of dance or the music style or rhythms etc.
    I was having a conversation last night with my husband about dancing to music, and he reminded me that you don't need music to dance... true! I remember choreographing a tap dance piece for a show and we used the tap sounds as percussion. (As seen and heard today with the tap dance group 'The Tap Dogs').
    In brief, we discussed and unpacked the word 'music' and 'sounds' and the word 'sound' which are made up of voices and noise etc. All sounds are vibrations... My point of this discussion is, that we could continue dismantling and unpacking a word until it becomes irrelevant to our particular inquiry, so we would need to come to a point and stop. As long as it’s a well balanced point of view taking into consideration the objective of the inquiry.

    You also mentioned music style and rhythms, I think back to one of the oldest instruments used for dance as illustrated in caves etc. I worked on an Aboriginal dance project and the Didgeridoo instrument also known as a 'drone' pipe because of the 'sound' it makes history goes back about 1,500 years and it is said that it accompanied ceremonial dances. The other earliest instrument we know about are the drums and the many various types, all made of animal skin that is stretched. An interesting thought indeed, what came first, sound (music) or dance?

    Good wishes
    Corinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Corinda,

    Really useful post. I picked up on this idea of choosing questions that best serve your inquiry too. I think it's about choices and this does create an element of power over the inquiry. You have the power to choose the data you wish to analyse, which can be scary, as one would hate to colour their findings in a certain way just because the had the power of choice. However bringing it back to the point of what is it that you really wish to know better, would give the researcher the comfort that the right choices are being made. It's a tough one! Good luck with it!

    Ahmet
    P.S. I'd love you to be in my SIG and would be keen to hear your views.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Corinda,

    Thank you for this post, and especially highlighting the ways of Qualitative Data Analysis for me, I have taken many points from the Qualiresearch website. Even though I am still in my 'Collecting' phase, the 'Noticing' is still happening as well as the 'Thinking', which is why the 'cycle' idea is mentioned in JOHN V.SEIDEL'S notes. The whole process will in the end become the analysis, as we can notice as we collect data, right?! I certainly am, it's not possible to collect data and not automatically analyse it on the spot! It's all about 'finding something' in the inquiry, so what ever we collect, we think about and therefore analyse... Even if i prove or disprove a point or one of my ideas, I will still have discovered something... that's what makes this inquiry so interesting!

    ReplyDelete