Saturday 3 December 2011

Task 3C


My 5 most Important Sources of Information

Blackberry    This would be the portal to communicating with family, friends and business in my world.  Receiving e-mails from my sources for potential bookings and confirmation of bookings.  I travel extensively by road to jobs so the application for travel updates is important to me.  Primarily I prefer to make phone calls as speaking and connecting with my customers, teachers and staff may bring me additional information.

Google/Internet     As an initial search, I will use Google as the  facilitator for basic information on any new topic I'm researching. It could be for a dance project, company business profiles, and  contact details.  Like most people that use the Internet for searching, Google will link me to connect with the basic information I am looking for.  Liam Conman calls this service ‘invaluable’.  Well, I certainly rely on it and would find it most difficult to function without it as it is valuable for me and my business. 

Face Book    Face Book is important to me for calendar of events, dance workshops, classes, some advertising of goods relevant to my business and finding new contacts for networking.  I am thinking about setting up a page for business although I shall keep my current Face Book page for social chit chat.

Youtube   Has endless source of ideas after filtering.  I can reacquaint myself with some original dance moves or sequence and find new moves to add to my repertoire.  I find new inspirational pieces of music from around the world.  Although for some of my choreography I like to have ideas naturally and organically evolve as I listen to the music.  The ‘how to’ videos are great for the step by step instructions, not just for technical help in loading new applications but for other details such as make up applications for various looks and themes.

My Blog   My blog page is very important to me as I work through my BAPP course. I can connect, learn, express my views and ask questions to the students across the three modules as well as communication with my advisers.  The tasks have been painful at times to understand and digest but as Phil Carrol mentions about some of the Readers has been  like ‘reading through treacle’.   After reading some of the students blogs I begin to understand the fundamentals as their understanding is explained clearly.  I found Alicia Beck to have this ability in her quality of writing.  My blog has been revealing, inspiring and on occasions some weird theorising emerges that smacks you in the face when you experience, as Paula Nottingham  once said to me, that  ‘light bulb moment’ 

I do have other sources of information that could be on a par with the five above that are useful to me and they are; TV, Radio, DVD’s but fundamentally and most importantly I like to speak and meet with people.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Corinda,
    I agree with you on relying a great deal upon emailing and the internet to keep connected both socially and professionally. This source of information is indispensable to both networking artists, and a business woman like yourself. I found it was hard to just choose 5 sources of information, as there are so many that contribute to my bank of information!
    Youtube is also a great tool for me, both in dancing and in learning 'how to' do things. I used it as a help when editing my video clips, as I find reading instructions harder to follow than a step by step video.
    Thanks for the comment about my writing, glad to know I can summarise the information a bit. I found the 'Connectivism' section really overwhelming and hard to digest. Let's hope the Critical Reviews we need to submit show everything we've learnt, I thinks it's going to be hard to 'dilute' get it all into 750 words! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia
    I am procrastinating over 'Connectivism' so totally understand how difficult it is to digest. I'm finding the Critical Reviews assignment totally chaotic with all the information we have gathered. Filtering it into 750 words is a very hard task for me. But I have no doubts you can achieve this Alicia. Good luck too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never really considered Youtube to be a way of networking, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that many people use it to promote themselves! Choreographers showing some of their work, singers trying to break into the industry and actors showing there skills. Many people have been picked you off Youtube, I believe Lady Gaga found a little girl singing one of her songs on there and asked the little girl to join her on stage.
    Youtube is a great tool for networking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Corinda
    Like you my smartphone is indispensable for conducting business when on the move.
    I had not even considered my Blog as a source for me. Possibly as it is still so new, but like you it has facilitated some awesome eureka/light bulb moments, through the nature of its practice (sustained engagement with the topics).
    The Readers and other pieces of formal writing are getting easier to understand, moving to being more like gravy than treacle now, thank goodness. Reader 3 was, overall, by far the most difficult to get to grips with but i actually found the section on connectivism the section that made most sense to me, wondering now if i have missed something. Possibly it was my favourite section as i have always been a bit of a middle man, putting people, things and ideas together for mutual benefit, so i related to it most out of all of the sections. Social Constructionism for me was the biggest headache.
    On te Assessment front i've been struggling for days to edit it down to 750. I'm not that many words over...only 1600 as i speak...AHHH! THat's my weekend sorted out then.
    Good luck all of you
    See you in the new year - Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Corinda,
    Firstly Happy New Year!!
    I have always been quite pessimistic regarding the use of Facebook as a networking tool, however the idea of using it as an advertising tool really appealed to me. It is so easy to post a status or send messages either advertising your 'product' (whatever that may be) or generally sharing information, it really has made me see it in a different light :) Also the idea that you can promote an event by sending out invites and also find out about events is great! I will definitely consider using facebook more in this way, so thank you!
    I also agree with yourself and Phil regarding Smartphones....I don't know how I survived without my blackberry before! It is so quick to send an email whilst on the go or even get directions to that all important audition when you are running late ;)
    How did we ever cope before technology?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Corinda,

    like you mentioned your blackberry is one of my most important sources of technology- everything is on there! Not only do I use it for communication but I also use it as a calender.

    It is something I rely on greatly! At the moment it is not working, it has only been one day and already I feel weird without it, can't wait to get it back, it is making feel lost!!

    It is true to think how much we rely on most sources of technology!

    ReplyDelete